"Equality, for those who can stomach it, is a cruel master - deal with it."
-Paul Elam, A Voice For Men
*Pulls up chair, puts fedora on table, rests cane on back of chair, motions waitress over to get a few rounds for the Brothas*
Mr. Panama told me recently that he intended to return with expanded and revised remarks on the current topic, and true to his word, he didn't disappoint - and I am most pleased to see you join in on the action as well, Mr. Champ.
As I am sure it comes as no surprise to either of you, I too have been made aware of the latest #OutrageOfTheMonth on the part of the (WOC) Feminist Lobby, and have indeed written a bit about the matter from my vantage point; today serves as an opportunity to put everything I've said on this and related matters into one treatise for your and the Grand Assembly's consideration.
Let's dive right in, shall we?
The other day, I openly expressed skepticism at the supposed "epidemic" of street harassment, and asked if there was any empirical evidence available that lends support to the many and, I must say, somewhat hyperbolic assertions made on the part of certain ladies in the round in this regard; of course, no such evidence was forthcoming, and instead was informed about the very same "artist/activist" that Mr. Champ had the recent nonversation with on HuffPo Live with (I certainly do hope that Mr. Champ knows, that his appearance on such a forum was to serve as the proverbial sacrificial lamb and whipping boy, there only to do what Bill Maher called "the Oprah Nod" - right? Right? I mean, he didn't really expect to have a full-throated conversation on the matter - right?). I've investigated said "activist/artist" and found what she presents to be...wanting.
There are a number of points that require illumination:
1. The "issue", such as it is, is one of LOW CLASS MEN WHO HAVE LITTLE IF ANYTHING TO OFFER A WOMAN, DOING THE "HARASSING", IF AT ALL. We've all seen this so there's little point to take it any further. Men from the lower end of the SES scale have always been society's biggest street offenders of all kinds. Brothas who frequent forums like these are highly unlikely to engage in such behaviors.
2. A Man may most certainly approach a Woman on the street or anywhere else (at work, et al), IF, he's The Right Kind of Guy. What is that, you ask?
To ask the question, is to answer it; in White America, as Tina Fey aptly demonstrated on Saturday Night Live a few years back, it's Tom Brady; in Black America, it's Idris Elba. YES, Men like them can and most likely will, say and pretty much do, anything they like to/with the ladies. And YES, this definitely means, that lesser Men need not apply - this is what the ladies are saying, and when it comes to Black America and particularly for the crowd that makes up the Afrosphere, ladies have been saying this for quite a few years now. Simply put, they are amenable to being approached, *by certain types of Brothas*.
3. Here's the thing, though - the Brothas, writ large, have heard you, ladies - hence the "curious cases of the Man-less meet markets" and the like (looks at Mr. Champ). In fact, in a recent conversation with Mr. Paul Carrick Brunson, I learned that he has recently instituted a program on his website, where he actually pays "finder's fees" of $100 USD to people who can find him Black Men for his Black Women clients(!).
Let that sink in for a moment.
I recently attended a backyard end-of-Summer party about a week or so ago, and I was the only Man in present, among roughly a dozen or so Women. It was NOT a pretty sight; Brothas got invites, the hostess even rang a few of them up to try to entice them to come over, etc - nada. About a week before that I was reading elsewhere online about how a Sista went out for a night of dancing and socializing - problem was, there were hardly any Brothas there, and she was quite distraught over it.
For decades now, Brothas have listened intently when Sistas of a particular cohort rundown their lists of what the ideal Man MUST have, or he need not even bother - and the Brothas have aceded. Hence why, at least in part, Grand Theft Auto V has made EIGHT HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS ON THE FIRST DAY OF ITS RELEASE. Forget video games, that's more than what Iron Man 3 made, and that's arguably this Summer's big blockbuster hit movie in Hollywood. What this proves is that Brothas are indeed Going Their Own Way - and it ain't necessarily to ogle ladies in various states of undress online.
The X-Box, will do.
4. As for the notion that Women in the early 21st century are somehow under great threat by marauding bands of Negroes out on the make, I offer the following from my recent column "Attack of The She-Creeper" for the Urban Politico:
"One major reason as to why Men aren't particularly vocal about being harassed by She-Creepers is due to this Orwellian system of Social Justice Triage that has been foisted upon them - anything that is perceived to impact Women, like the male variety of Creepers, street harassment and the like, must be addressed first and foremost, on the grounds that Men are stronger than Women and can pose a threat to them. If we were still living on the African Savannah back in the Land Before Time, or if we were still out on the frontier before the West Was Won, I might have gone along with that argument. However, we now live in the 21st century, where even children can operate Soviet-made AK-47 assault rifles, and it is not at all unusual to find copious amounts of video footage of Women administering severe amounts of Kickass on hapless male victims. And of course, there's the infamous film "Fatal Attraction"."
5. Which reminds me - *of course, the Feministas will never admit to such a thing as a She-Creeper, because of the very same sexist views they claim the whole of Mankind has against Women themselves* - how many Men here have encountered the following kinds of Women; again, I quote:
"Well, as the name infers, the She-Creeper is someone who violates the personal space and boundaries of others (She-Creepers can and often do this to other Women as well, but for purposes of this discussion we are only going to focus on the She-Creeper-to-Hapless Male dynamic, and for reasons that are well-justified; read on), often in sexual ways, that just, you know, creeps you out. They give guys unsolicited/unwanted "compliments", jump into conversations uninvited, touch guys unwanted, and almost never miss an opportunity to make sexually implicit remarks or jokes (sound familiar?) to guys they've got their creepy eyes on.
Now, and this is based on my own extensive observation and experience over the years, I've found one defining characteristic of the She-Creeper: she tends to be an older Woman, and by "older" we are talking north of 35 years of age. You see, while there is much discussion in our time over who-should-do-what in terms of dating and mating (like who should pay for the first date, who should approach who, etc, et al), what's often left out is the crucial factor of Time, and the role it plays in the mating dynamic among humans. Or, in other words, Women tend to get just a weebit more forward with age - often, creepily so.
Toss in half a dozen bottles of wine and spirits into the mix, and it will not be at all unusual to see the more seasoned gals out there on the make in ways that would make even the most clueless Fanboy look innocuous. I've both seen and been the unfortunate recipient of the "attentions" of such Eartha Kitt knockoffs, and it is NOT appealing in the least. No, all She-Creepers aren't over the age of 35; and no, all She-Creepers aren't lushes; but there does seem to be a correlation here of these factors."
Don't all you intrepid ladies speak at once, now.
So, in closing, I offer the final point for the Brothas' consideration:
6. You are no longer living in the time of Mad Men. You are not Mr. Darcy. You live in the 21st century, and it is way past due to that notions of making the first approach to a Woman, or paying for the first date for a Woman, etc, et al, die the quick and painless death it has rightfully deserved for far too long now. Women in general, and Black Women in particular, are strong, independent, in control of their sexuality, know what they want and how to go after it - so let them. Your job, is to make yourself as attractive as you can - your grooming, your manner of dress and style, your social skills, your body language, you living an interesting life - and trust me when I tell you, you do all these things, you WILL get ladies approaching you.
The ladies have said that they wish to be left alone - and you know what I say, fellas?
We should do, just that.
My job is done here.
Now adjourn your arses...