Not sure if you heard, but apparently HUS has finally made the bigtime; I invite my readers to view the video and register their comments.
In the meantime, I also offer the following thoughts and observations by yours truly, which is an email I sent to my JFG brothers in arms this morning on the matter; again, comment and reply, invited:
"HUS On HuffPo Live: Why Should I Care?
6:29 AM 8/8/2013 Thu
Good morning fellas,
Just seeing this. The following are my initial gut reactions:
1. Consider the panel - with the exception of one (who is Asian, hence Honrary White - note the surname, "Ong Zimmerman"), all of them are White and all of them are UMC. How and why should I, a Brotha from inner city America, who never attended college and is from working class roots, who worked in the Trades and is a union card carrier, care? How does what ANY of them said, have to do with me or my experiences? Do they even know what those experiences are? Do they even care? How do I fit into that discussion, or do I even rate in their minds? Please think on that for a moment.
2. Much of what was said by the panel has validated just about everything Prof. David Buss has said in his books. For example, Rick Santos, the lone guy on the panel, explains how he crashed and burned attempting to use what Buss and others call the Satellite Strategy - basically, the "Friend" strategy. This is often one of the preferred methods for Mate Poaching, and while Santos got the bang, he failed to woo away the chick from her guy - hence, why I have never advocated such things for guys, due to their high failure rate. On top of that, and to answer the leading question of the segment, of course a ONS can be converted into a LTR - but that is dependent on some other variables in the mix, which was something none of the panelists discussed, Ms. Walsh first and foremost among them I might add (which is hugely important, considering that she had the most facetime of any of the four panelists, taking up roughly a third of the 23 minutes that the segment lasted - some could speculate about the nature of her personality on that one...hmm...). As Buss notes, and again for another example, Women have been known to use short term mating as a strategy to parlay it into a LTR, much as Ms. Walsh has done; I've discussed this at some length over at JFG: "Seven Reasons Why Women Hookup".
3. I agree with all of your assessment, Ms. Walsh is definitely angling for taking HUS to the bigtime. Having said that, I don't knock her hustle one little bit; after all, she isn't doing anything more or less than all the other relationship expert hustlers have or are doing. More power to her.
4. Having said that, my personal position is, to quote Chuck D of Public Enemy, "I don't rhyme for the sake of riddlin'" - I have less-than-zero interest in "going mainstream", or in "entertainment" (and make no mistake, what we just saw there on HuffPo is defintely entertainment). I have different motivations as to why I do this blogging thing.
5. Ms. Walsh's story of how she got with Mr. HUS is most interesting indeed; quite the contrary of everything I've ever known her to write over the past four years or so I've known of her. Interesting.
6. As I've said before, the single biggest problem facing Ms. Walsh and her "mission", is that she's attempting to peddle a cure in search of a disease. As Lisa Wade, whom Ms. Walsh herself considers among if not thee utmost authority on the hookup issue has said recently in a piece at Slate, the hookup scene on campus is really the White, Wealthy and Hawt scene - and if you're a member of Ms. Walsh's target demo and haven't figured out that you don't fall into those three distinct catergories, you've got a much bigger problem than merely trying to get a boyfriend. Per Wade's piece, we know - KNOW - that POC and Whites of more modest means ARE NOT hooking up. So, that blows a big fat hole in Ms. Walsh's Pluralistic Ignorance theory, doesn't it? Moreover, the real problem Ms. Walsh has, and Hollenhund has spoken to this recently over at Rollo's, her core female audience is made up of homely gals. And instead of directly addressing this, in much the same way PUA coaches dress down dweeby dudes at Game bootcamps, Ms. Walsh instead attempts to put lipstick on a pig. Yea, good luck with that, Ms. Walsh. On top of all that, as Tracy Clark Flory's recent engagement announcement has made clear, you can hookup like mad, and even write about it(!), and it won't hurt you, you'll still be able to get your Chad, IF you're White, Wealthy and Hawt. So again, this presents some interesting problems for Ms. Walsh and her "mission" when you really get down to it, don't it? Having said that, and again, why should I give a damn in any event? Afterall, none of those people on the panel give a damn about me or mine. *shrug*
As the late great Malcolm X once famously said, of all our studies, history is best qualified to reward our research. The story of HUS will be borne out in terms of history - either it will be vindicated by it, or it will be eviscerated by it.
I've emptied my revolver on this one - and when I fire my revolver, I never miss.